Updating your computer operating system can be a real pain. And it always seems like you are notified of an update at the very time you are busy doing something else.
It is very important that you install these updates as soon as possible.
Software updates for apps can be put on the back burner and installed later. But this is not the case with your operating system. This is the life blood of your system.
In this article, we will explore the importance of updating your operating system, the benefits it brings, and the things you should do first to prevent problems from the update.
What you Should Do Before Updating your Computer Operating System
This is very important, and is why I am covering this first.
I updated my Mac to Apple's newest operating system, Somona a few days ago, and ran into some problems that could have been much worse than they were.
To make a long story short, my Mac worked, but it took about two minutes to do a simple task, such as, closing a window.
Before you update, there are three very important things you must do first:
- Back up your files: Updates are not perfect. There is always a possibiity of something going wrong. If you back up your files, then all the hard work you've done will not be wasted.
- Clear cache & cookies: There are files on your computer that you don't need, and, may interfere with the new operating system you've just installed. This simply involves deleting all files from a directory.
For windows, the path is windows/temp/, and for Mac, it is ~/Library/Caches.
This is how I resolved my problem. Unfortunately, it took me about two hours to do this simple task.
- Clear your browser: This is not as important as the other two, but just to be on the safe side, do this before updating.
4 Reasons You Should Update Your Operating System
There are 5 reasons this is very crucial:
- Staying Up to Date: It ensures that your system remains secure and protected against ever-evolving cyber threats. Software developers are constantly working to fix vulnerabilities and patch security loopholes.
- Improved Performance: Developers regularly release updates to address bugs, enhance compatibility with new software, and introduce new features. An this leads into the third reason.
- Running your current apps: Sometimes an app you use will crash after your operating system is updated. Therefore, to insure that you will be able to continue to use the most current version of the app, it is very important that you keep your operating system updated at all times. You can always update the app later.
- Access to New Features: Each new operating system update introduces a range of new features that can make your computing experience much better. By updating your operating system, you gain access to these new features and can take full advantage of them to boost your productivity and streamline your workflow.
- Your computer will become obsolete: Keeping your operating system up to date at all times will insure that your machine is a tool that you will be able to work with. If you let updates go, and ignore them, it's only a matter of time before your computer will appear to be crashing. You don't want this to happen.
How to Update Your Operating System
This is really self-explanatory.
Whether your computer is a Windows or Mac, you will automatically receive a notification that your operating system needs to be updated.
Simply follow through, click on it, and you will be prompted on screen as to what you need to do.
Here's a Tip
If you are working with your computer, it's impossible to update your operating system while doing something else.
Updating your operating system takes a long time (about an hour or two), so here's a suggestion.
If you're about to do something that is not computer related, such as, go shopping or turn in for the night, let your operating system update while you are away. Just set your display at a very dim mode, and this will work nicely for you.
Remember, keeping your operating system up to date is an ongoing process. In addition, it is a process you simply cannot overlook.
Thank you for visiting us. Please visit us again. You are always welcome.
AND, there's something else I want you to remember:
At SurfSideSafe, we are here to make your life much better.